Birth: June 5, 1830 in Blieskastel, Germany
Death: February 3, 1881 (age 50) in Vancouver, B.C.
Gottfried Oppenheimer was also known as “Godfrey,” the English equivalent of his German given name—and the given name which is inscribed on his gravestone.
He eventually ran the Victoria branch of the Oppenheimer Bros. mercantile company.
Note: Gottfried’s older brother, Mayer, and three younger brothers; Charles (born Carl) David, and Isaac also immigrated to the United States.
Gravesite Details: Row E – Plot 4
In memory of
June 5, 1830
Died Feb. 3, 1881
May God grant him
- Johanna Kahn or Cahn Oppenheimer (1802–1838)
- Solomon Oppenheimer
- Lena (Leopold) Oppenheimer
- Solomon “Sol” Oppenheimer (1866-1913)
- Harriet Oppenheimer (1866-1866)
- Milton Oppenheimer (1873–1942)
- Sarah Oppenheimer (1876-1876)
- Mayer Oppenheimer (1828-1903)
- Charles Oppenheimer (1832–1890)
- David Oppenheimer (1834–1897)
- Isaac Oppenheimer (1835–1922)
For Gottfried’s birth, see “Saarland, Germany, Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1776–1875,” database, /Ancestry/ (http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=61110), entry for Gottfried Oppenheimer, 5 June 1830 (Blieskastel).
For Gottfried’s death, see “British Columbia, Canada, Death Index, 1872–1990,” database, /Ancestry/ (http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=60930, entry for Gottfried Oppenheimer, 3 February 1881 (Victoria).